This weekend we had Culture camp put on by Korean Focus Indiana and the local Korean Presbyterian Church. To say that the members of the church are wonderful is an understatement. You can tell that the church members care about passing on the Korean heritage to our children. Last year and this year brought tears to my eyes seeing the how genuine and gracious these people have been. The children of the church also attend, which is so important for Parker. He followed around some teenage girls and kept saying they were his girlfriends (he did hear me tell Jim that).
Did you know that for a Korean pinata you throw bean bags at it to open? It was MADNESS watching the children attempt!

Eating Korean lunch catered by the women of the church. Fresh kimchi,mandu, rice cakes, jap chae, and two types of meat. Of course I did not eat the meat, but the kimchi was SO good, and I love the rice cakes.
Fan dancing
There were some good from Korea for sale, and I got these cell phone charms, which are very popular in Korea. I do not have any Korean Christmas ornaments, so these should work.
Eating Korean lunch catered by the women of the church. Fresh kimchi,mandu, rice cakes, jap chae, and two types of meat. Of course I did not eat the meat, but the kimchi was SO good, and I love the rice cakes.
There was also a Tae Kwon Do demo, cooking class (mandu), language, and acupuncture.
Since I sit on the board for KFI, out family was invited to dinner at the home of one of the church members. The board and church members gathered to recap the day and socialize.
Hearing their commitment to educating our children and personally inviting us to celebrate Korean holidays at the church means so much. There was an elder of the church, who spoke of her time working at HOLT orphanage in the 1950's; because of this she has always felt connected to adoption. HOLT is Parker's agency and it means so much to us to hear her stories.
I am so grateful that we live in an area where Parker has these type of opportunities.

6 comments:
What a wonderful experience for your family!
How fun! I love it!
That is so great for Parker and the other Korean kids, as well as for you guys as parents! I need to start getting involved in our FCC group more now!!
What wonderful opportunities for Parker and you to have fun and learn:)
That looks like so much fun! What a great opportunity for your family :)
So great that you have this so close to home!
Post a Comment