Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Catharsis: putting my anxiety out there...

A few weeks ago we reviewed a file, of a baby girl, from Korea. After a medical review recognized that there were potential issues that we were not ready to take on. For anyone who has been there before, you know what it is like...one yes makes that little girl your daughter. It is difficult...I feel at peace, she has found her forever family, and while it is not us that is okay.

However, we got some news that the agency we used to bring P home will not be accepting any new families this year. Something along the lines of there are too many families waiting. I get it, we do not want to sit there for 3 years, paying costly government and agency updates each year. I also realize that international adoption is fluid and ever changing, there are many programs that have halted operations, while families are in the process. We were so lucky, P's process was so smooth and now that I look back pretty "easy". Trust me I am not minimizing his transition, I speak only of the government paperwork and our wait.

Why discuss all this, because I need to acknowledge that we are ready for another child in our home, and the whole process makes me so nervous. When we sent our last home study to Korea, I worried we would get a call that they had shut the doors...

So I am back where we started, evaluating all options, surfing the net, calling agencies, driving Jim crazy (nothing new) You would think it would be easier, since I have a child, but I know what I am missing, and someone is missing from our home.

Parker knows it, he constantly asks to see pictures of babies on the computer! and he tells us "baby, up, up, up (and points to one of our spare rooms).

5 comments:

Phil & Karen said...

I completely understand what you are going through. This process is so nerve wracking from the moment you start thinking about it until the moment that final order of adoption is signed. The "what if's" are always lingering on my mind. Some way or another this is all going to work out for the best and a little bundle of joy will be filling that empty room. It may not happen exactly the way we envisioned it to begin with (when how, who, where etc) but I know that we will both be welcoming home a little one....and when you meet her/him, you won't think twice about that file again, because you will know that this is the baby that is meant to be with you - speaking from experience here! ((hugs)) to you my friend as we start all over again.

Grace said...

awww, jackie, thanks for sharing...thinking of you and praying for you as you continue to wait. what a sweet big brother parker already is!

Wendi said...

Oh wow!! That really worries me! We are hoping to get on the WC list for Korea...if our homestudy would ever get to adoption agency! Praying it all works out for yoU!

Jessica said...

What did you decide about AIAA?

We got the same email from Bethany. We're still undecided about how to proceed, but we're looking at multiple options.

Kelli said...

It's so hard! And I've never had to turn down a possible referral- that has to be a thousand times harder!! Hope you find the beginning steps towards your newest family member very soon.