Sunday, February 7, 2010

Welcome Home

Playing with a shopping bag as I unpacked


He will go in and play, but only on his terms!

The morning before we left Seoul, notice the Raiders shirt.


I must start by saying thank to everyone in our lives for such support, our families for picking us up at the airport, our friends for having dinner waiting, the house decorated, and a Thomas DVD for Parker (trust me he needed it at 5:00am), kind words on facebook, mail, and texts. Finally for those of you I have never met but are going through this journey or have already been there your support has been amazing. You are the ones that can relate to our situation and share your stories, which have gotten us through this last week. Jim would have me read to him the posts from adoptive parents or look at the Holt BB, as those words mean so much. We have read every letter, post, and card sorry if we are slow to respond!


As for the flight, only one word can describe it AMAZING! As we ate our last breakfast at the Somerset, we were thrilled to find that DJ was there for a training. She and some of her staff said goodbye to Parker (who was clinging to Mom at this point!). We were thrilled to find another AP on our flight, a Mom who traveled without her spouse and 2 daughters. She had picked up her little guy just a few hours after us, I wish would have known she was in Seoul! That was great for me, as I was worried about how I would feel getting on the plane, as I took him from his country and his culture. Instead, I was chatting and exchanging stories. We got bulkhead seating together and the boys had bottles at take off and NO tears! Parker slept two thirds of the flight but would play with the other little boy or look at the Pororo cartoon on my screen (I think I need to order him one). Of course the flight was long (13 hours) and we were tired but it went better than we could dream.

We were met at O'Hare by both families, Parker hated the car seat and cried himself to sleep. We ate lunch at my parent's and Parker was a bit shy at first but warmed up once the crowd got smaller. He crawled over to Steve and asked to be held. For those of you who know my brother, that is an unlikely choice, as he is about 6'4"! Grandma gave him more presents, including more Thomas DVD's. We drove home in constant snow, we finally made it at 7:00pm. Parker is still on Korean time and did not want to sleep. So we took four hour shifts, holding and feeding him. Needless to say, Jim and I are pretty tired, well exhausted. Also, he doesn't want to be put down, which is cute, but he is 22 lbs, my arms are sore. I am planning on ordering an Ergo after this post since he loved the carrier with FM.
He slept a little more last night but wanted to play non-stop from 2am-6am, even asking to go into his crib to laugh and play. We thought we would make it to church this morning but were running late, so not yet. We wanted to get him outside in the sunlight to help with the time change, so we went to the Asian grocery store in town to get some of his favorites: rice, Korean pears (our favorites too!), barley tea (they were out!!), soy soup, and dried seaweed. He was so cute at the market, pointing at everything. As we checked out the cashier said so cute, little girl. He was in NAVY BLUE! Okay, hair cut is in order. We went over to Costco where he sat in the cart and loved people watching, he also cried until I gave him a bit of a sample pretzel (he is so curious of our food, and wants to try everything).

We were able to get laundry started and even unpack and clean a little, since he will nap in the pack in play, once he falls asleep. Don't be too impressed, we have barely eaten and I have laughed at the thought of all the movies I was going to catch up on with Netflicks. It was a luxury that I put on mascara to leave the house today.

All transitions considered things are great, and Parker Sang-Tae is too cute for words!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!! You will get adjusted to having a little one! No much "Me time" for awhile- but it is worth it! Thanks for updating on your trip home and the pictures! They are so good and I can't wait to meet him!

Love Lots-
Julie

The Broad Ripple Seven said...

Jackie, Jim and Parker,
all three of you are doing amazing and he will adjust to the timechange before you know it...he is so sweet looking and I can't wait to meet him...I would love to take pictures of your family, let me know when you are ready.
And it will get easier.
love,
Emily (Persic-Schwank)

Erin and Rich said...

Jackie I can totally hear the happiness shining through in your voice! He seems to be doing GREAT! I had Tommy dressed up all in blue and boy clothes last Easter and someone told me SHE was cute. Seriosuly people. Parker is 100% boy. And such a CUTE, no HANDSOME, boy!! Hangin there...you are doing wonderfully and welcome to the world of "showers are luxuries."

Amy said...

Jackie, Jim, & Parker, That is great. I have been checking the boards and your blog waiting for news. He is so cute and looks totally like a boy to me. I'm glad the plane ride was pretty good and you guys are all home safe and sound. Thanks so much for sharing your story it is wonderful to be reminded of end result as we begin this journey.
Amy & Sam

HollyMarie said...

Awww... so glad you're home safe and sound w/ your little Parker! Don't worry, the exhaustion is normal and will last for a week or two... but you'll come out the other side and things will slowly shift to normal! Blessings as you transition. He is so cute!

Anonymous said...

All the "girl" comment really means is that he will grow up to be a hottie!! --Margaret

Anonymous said...

Welcome home to you all. We talked with your parents today, Jackie and got the scoop on how you are bonded with your son.
Love always,
Aunt Kathy Stemnock (and Uncle Jerry too)

Karen said...

Jackie,
Thank you for the update!! We have been thinking about you all week! I am so happy to hear that things are a little better with this post...it will get better every day, I promise! Parker is such a cutie! Keep us posted as you settle in!

*Karen :o)

abby said...

Jackie-
Let me know if/when you are interested in a playdate with me & Everett. We would love to meet Parker!
Abby

Kimberly and Ed said...

Hi Jackie,

I found your blog on the Holt BB and wanted to say thank you for sharing. My husband and I are waiting for our EP approval and TC. We also will be first time parents so reading your blog has been very helpful. Parker is adorable!

Jarrod, Amy, Isaac, Caleb and Audrey said...

AWESOME! So happy for your family! Hopefully you'll have a restful week. Sounds like we are all going to spend some quality time snowed in this week anyway!
Hugs,
Amy, Jarrod, Isaac SukHwan and Caleb DongSu

Sandra said...

I am so happy for your little family!

Jen said...

I'm so happy that you are home with Parker now! I hope that the transition for him and for you goes smoothly. Hopefully it will get warm soon so you can get out on some runs with him!

Cheryl said...

Jackie- I am so glad that Parker is home and you are all adjusting! Congrats! :)

Unknown said...

Jackie, I'm so glad to hear that you three are back in the states safely and are transitioning so well. Parker is adorable!! I hope you will bring him by FB sometime soon...We're all dying to meet him! Congrats again!! :)

Anonymous said...

So happy things went well on the way home! He is def. adorable!! I'm so happy for the 3 of you. We can't wait to meet little Parker. I just bet Aunt Judy and Uncle Rick are in heaven! Another baby lol. Parker is lucky to have such great Grandparents.

Bobbie