We are so fortunate to have multiple Korean Church's in our area, and one that host a Korea camp each year for adoptee's and their families. We realize that Parker is too young to understand most of camp but it was great for Jim and I. Also, it normalizes this event for Parker, as well as future events with other Korean adoptees. At first I thought...I know how to say hello in Korean, I know most of this...then it hit me and moved me to tears...our children know none of this, it is their country, their culture but they have no memories of it. Thank you KPC church members for allowing my son to have this experience.
I cannot say enough about the Church community, not only did they plan a day of fun and education for the families, but they were so welcoming of us and our children. The theme was modern Korea, so learning about typical meals, how holidays are celebrated, making Gimbop, and a Korean lunch catered by the women of the church. Complete with walnut cakes..if you have been to Seoul, you know the amazing smell that comes from the street/subway vendors that sell these cakes. I enjoyed a bag in Seoul and cannot wait for more!
Parker was so excited to see the rice cakes that are eaten on holidays and asked for more. The church has babysitting, by church teens, for the younger children. Parker went with the girls and let them hold him, he was sweet.
Sadly, I have no pictures of the event because I forgot my camera. There will be next year!
I’ve Never Been Here Before {my book}
1 year ago

3 comments:
What a wonderful experience! Some day Parker is going to enjoy going, too. So neat!
The Korean camp sounds so amazing - maybe Kyla and I will have to come visit you next year so we can go too:-)
Sounds like a wonderful experience! The Vietnamese community here is very welcoming as well. It's so nice for both our boys to have that cultural connection close to home!
Post a Comment