I wanted to share my reaction to seeing Sara Snow at my last MOPS meeting. Sara is a green living expert, and this woman is the real deal, she lived green growing up..even when it was not the norm or trendy to do so.
The link to her site provides much information, but I wanted tot share my reactions and what I have implemented in my home. I understand that not all of these ideas will work for each family, in addition I realize there are many other things we can continually implement in our home.
*Going paper towel and napkin free. Use rags and make paper napkins from an old sheet. I wish I had a sewing machine to finish the edges on the napkins.
*Buying organic and local for the purpose that there are 35% more essential nutrients and 25% more vitamins and minerals in organically grown produce. In addition, the reasons I had bought before was pesticides, which have been linked to ADHD and impacting reproductive organs to name a few. Now, there are lists of produce that should be bought organic and those that are safer. I am in the process of looking for a local Co-op or CSA.
*Using houseplants to clean the air. Placing English ivy, chrysanthemums, or Gerber daisys in your home assist in cleaning the air.
*Using Bee Pollen to treat seasonal allergies. Taking the LOCAL bee pollen daily builds an immunity to the plants that are part of your environment. This is more direct that using local honey. I found a jar at Whole Foods ( refrigerated vitamins) and we have started taking it daily. Sara said her husband is now symptom free!
*Reusing products when possible, new items (cribs, toys) give off gasses when they are new and your children breathe these. Used cribs have released these gases and keep the crib out of a landfill.
*Use natural cleaning products. I keep a 50/50 of water vinegar for all purpose cleaning, great for wiping down Parker's high chair. Baking soda and vinegar makes an amazing scrub product, you should see my kitchen sink!
Some other things I have been doing, is using Freecycle to obtain and repurpose items. For example, I got Parker a used picnic table and basketball hoop. This saved me about $100 and repurposed the items. Yes, the table is faded...he has no idea!
We do not have curb side recycling here, so I am going to sort and drive it to the local center. Yes, I have been bad about this before!
We have been good about taking our bags to the grocery store ad using CFL lights.
Any other green living tips?
I’ve Never Been Here Before {my book}
1 year ago

6 comments:
ooohh, great tips! thanks for sharing! i will have to try some of these...love the bee pollen tip, but, it kinda grosses me out!
Thanks for this! I cannot honestly believe that there are still many towns and cities that don't have curb side recycling. That's such a shame! I'm going to try the 50/50 water vinegar this week :)
Thank you for the tips! I also think having a toy swap with other mom's is also a great way to repurpose items. I did this a couple months ago and Kyle thinks he got new toys (he has no idea that they are used!)
Cloth diapers!!!! I sold most of mine already but still have my favorites left. I am going to try and sell them online.
I have a sewing machine if you really want to borrow one!
scared of cloth....just scared...
Those are some great tips. I think at one time I was doing a lot of those things, but then I got lazy. What a great reminder to start again.
Post a Comment